Monday, July 5, 2010

Minnesotan Baked Beans

I totally just made that name up. I have no idea if there is a specifically Minnesotan way of making baked beans. All I know is I got this recipe from my aunt, who is über-Minnesotan, so I've decided the beans are too. These are seriously the best baked beans I've ever had. I know that doesn't sound like such a feat, but dudes, these are awesome. I really like that they have 3 different kinds of beans in there, so it's not just a mush of brown goop. The lima beans and kidney beans hold their texture pretty well, and the color contrast gives these things a much more appetizing appearance. Also, they have bacon and ground beef. You had me at bacon, but the ground beef is really tasty in there.

Apologies to the vegetarians, because this is not your dish. Amber, I know you only eat animals that you kill yourself for the most part, so I would seriously consider stalking some cows and pigs (and investing in a smokehouse) so you can make these beans.

I made these for a 4th of July barbeque, and it makes quite a bit, so if you're only cooking for a few people, I would cut the recipe in half.


Ingredients:

1/2 lb thick-cut bacon
1 small onion, diced
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tsp dry mustard
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 small can lima beans (if you can't find the small can, just use 8 oz of a regular sized can)
1 can dark kidney beans (16 oz)
2 cans (32 oz total) B&M brand baked beans (or you can use one 28 oz can if you can find it)

Yes, I know, I was amused to find out that one of the ingredients in my family's baked bean recipe is...baked beans. But, they're the basic baked beans, not the fancy exotic grillin' beans or whatever. If you can't find B&M brand, just try to find some that aren't too...fussy. None of this hickory smoked maple bacon brown sugar stuff, because you'll be adding a lot of those flavors anyway. Also, I would avoid getting the maple or brown sugar bacon, since these beans are already plenty sweet.

NOTE: I just make these in a large cast iron pot and transfer that directly to the oven, but if your pot isn't oven safe, you can always just transfer the beans to a deep baking dish or casserole before baking.

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Cut the bacon into about 1 inch pieces and fry. Resist the urge to forget the beans and just eat the bacon.



2. Remove bacon with slotted spoon and set aside. Cook onions in the bacon fat. Luxuriate in the smell of awesome.



3. Remove onions with slotted spoon and set aside. Brown ground beef in bacony-oniony fat. Once beef is browned, return bacon and onions to pot. Remove from heat. Take a moment to appreciate this wonderment.



4. Add ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, and salt. Stir to combine. Add beans. Marvel at the fact that lima beans are actually a rather lovely color, and that one might be inclined to paint one's kitchen lima bean green.



5. Stir to combine and bake (uncovered) for 45 minutes to an hour. Stir periodically.

Before baking:



After baking. These buggers are also awesome reheated the next day.



MEDIA PAIRING:

Well, there's always the campfire scene from Blazing Saddles, but I think I'll avoid that one. Instead, here's an extended section of a glorious scene from Dennis the Menace (1993). Oh, Christopher Lloyd, I heart you.

2 comments:

  1. This is so comparatively elaborate. My family's baked beans recipe is: Dump can of baked beans in casserole dish. Add additional ketchup. Put raw bacon on top if you feel like it. Bake until the bacon's done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck! Not much wrong with that recipe. Except maybe adding a sprinkle of brown sugar.  ︺‿︺

      Delete