Sunday, July 25, 2010

In case you were wondering...

...the lemon-filled cupcakes also work quite well as a layer cake. (I had to use up the rest of my lemon curd.)

I doubled that recipe to make two 8-inch round layers. Then I sliced each layer in half, very carefully.

DSC07272

Only ended up using 3 of the 4 layers, since I'd already used about a third of the lemon curd on the cupcakes. This means that a full batch of the lemon curd, plus a double batch of the cake batter, will make one four-layer cake.

I also grated the zest of one lemon into the frosting, and it made a nice difference. I preferred it. Totally worth spending 39 cents on a lemon at Trader Joe's. (The real estate agency seems to have dispersed of their spare lemons.)

DSC07273

Still working on the frosting skills. But you know you want this:

DSC07275

In case anyone was wondering, I do not eat all of these baking things by myself. Gromit's human aunt and uncle came over yesterday and left with half the cake. You, too, could be the recipient of cakes, if you live in the area and are willing to come over here. (Until fall semester starts next month. Then I'll have regular access to the rest of the grad cohort, and most of them will eat anything.)


Food for thought: What if I did half a batch of lemon curd, and made raspberry filling for the other two layers? Would that be overdoing it? Or maybe apricot? I really think I want to try the raspberry. Maybe the next time my dad comes for a visit, though I don't think he's planning to be here anytime soon. He is a notorious lover of raspberry-enhanced desserts.

5 comments:

  1. Nothing against raspberry, but lemon is, hands down, my favorite cake and other fruits merely dilute its inexorable appeal. I'm salivating madly thinking about a whole cake of curd, oh lemony heavens!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking, actually, that this cake could probably be filled with any fruit or combination thereof and be delicious. Raspberry was my first thought, and peach (on its own, not with lemon) was my second. I love raspberries, and raspberry lemonade, and while I don't think I would want a cake to taste like raspberry lemonade, the combination still sounds good, you know?

    Amber - YOU MUST MAKE THIS CAKE. Or if you're in the area in the next couple of days, let me know and I'll save you a slice. I'm right off the 101!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best danish at the bakery I worked for (in Moorestown) was a lemon/raspberry (a gob of each), to die for. So yes, raspberry would be great. OR what if there were fresh raspberries sprinkled all over the frosting? Or, in another vein, coconut? But heck, lemon is perfect. The more lemony the better-- Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so I could do one layer lemon, one layer raspberry, one layer coconut cream, then make a frosting with lemon zest, sprinkled with raspberry and coconut. That's not overkill at all, right?

    ReplyDelete