Monday, July 12, 2010

The Leftovers: Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding

The Cinnamon Rolls to Die For were made last weekend, before I went out of town for a really awesome conference. I returned home on Saturday only to find that the boyfriend unit had not eaten all of his cinnamon rolls, and they were now stale.

Unwilling to let my week-old efforts go to waste, I proceeded to make the cinnamon rolls even worse for you. And here's how!

DSC07205

Bread pudding! Made with cinnamon rolls!

Adjust your liquidy ingredients as appropriate to the amount of remaining cinnamon rolls...

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cube stale cinnamon rolls. I had five left. Drizzle them with 2 tbsp melted butter and toss to coat.
3. Grease an 8" square pan. Bread chunks go in!
4. Mix together 3 eggs (lightly beaten), 2 1/2 cups milk, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 tsp. cinnamon. 1/2 cup raisins optional (I didn't have any). Pour this over the bread cubes. Poke the bread cubes with a spoon, repeatedly, to ensure that eggy mixture is absorbed.
5. If desired, sprinkle nutmeg over the top.

I'm not a huge bread pudding fan, but this came out pretty well. Nicely crunchy on top, gooey on the inside. And it's certainly preferable to throwing out the stale rolls.

I think this would go well with vanilla ice cream (you know, because it's not bad enough for you already). Boyfriend unit suggested maple syrup, because it is vaguely reminiscent of French toast. I also think a cinnamon brown sugar syrupy sort of glaze would be nice drizzled on top, but only for those folks who have super durable pancreases.


DSC07206

Rather pretty, no? I need to rig up a more attractive photo backdrop. Stupid tiny apartment kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Courtney, how long did you bake it!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, not really sure anymore (now why didn't I write that down)? My guess is about 25 minutes, or however long the Joy of Cooking recommends and start checking it 5 minutes earlier. You basically just need the egg mixture to set up and for a crust to develop on top.

    ReplyDelete