Sunday, September 26, 2010

Ginger Peach Muffins

DSC07730

Wow, our posting has really slowed down since fall semester started! Who'd have thunk it?

I'm supposed to be working on screening documents this weekend, and I swear to God I have been. But I need the occasional break. Also, I had a very vivid dream last week about ginger peach muffins, which I'm sure I had never eaten before--or even seen, although a quick scan of the interwebs tells me that they are not unknown.

The ginger peach muffins in my dream (which had flavors. I don't often have dreams with flavors) were laced with a gingery swirl, sort of like the marzipan swirl in Ben & Jerry's "Mission to Marzipan" ice cream, a flavor which Amber and I have discussed in some detail. But I don't know quite how to make ginger-flavored marzipan in the first place, let alone how to put it into a muffin. However, I did have a basic muffin recipe from The Joy of Cooking, and some ideas about how to make the muffin taste good even if I couldn't recreate the swirl from my dream. So, moving on!

The next problem I encountered was the Inferior California Peach.

DSC07725

Look at that. That is a ripe yellow peach. That is the best ripe yellow peach I could find (at a reasonable price). I usually don't think of myself as Southern, but I did grow up in Georgia, and damn if I can't tell a Superior Georgia Peach from an Inferior California One.

The peach was so wimpy that I decided to saute it first.

DSC07726

Because a combination of:
1 tbsp butter, melted
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon

is guaranteed to improve almost everything, including:
1 ripe yellow peach, peeled, pitted, and finely diced

Saute it until the peach is soft and the syrup is syrupy (around 5 minutes), then remove from heat and let cool. Meanwhile, whisk together in a large bowl:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

And in another large bowl, whisk thoroughly:
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp amaretto (optional. I have a bottle from the cupcake experiment, so probably a lot of things I bake over the next couple of months will have amaretto in them.)
Cooled peach mixture

Make a well in the dry ingredients, then add wet and blend quickly, with only a few strokes. The batter should still be lumpy. Spoon into a cupcake pan - you'll want paper liners.

Before baking, sprinkle a few tiny pieces of diced candied ginger and about 1 tsp quick-cooking oats over each muffin. Like so:

DSC07727

Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes.

DSC07729

They puff nicely.

Option: If you like ginger more than I do (I don't love ginger so much, really), you could finely dice more candied ginger and add that to the batter. It does turn out that finely dicing candied ginger is hella annoying, because it goes all soft and sticky as soon as you try to manipulate it.

I also wish these were a tiny bit peachier. Or maybe my sample muffin just got short shrift on the peach bits. But I might try this with two (small) peaches next time.

Media Pairing: Sing it with me! "My muffin top is all that, whole grain, low-fat..."

2 comments:

  1. These look awesommmme. Want to make! I was looking up some other ginger recipes a few weeks ago, and a couple people said the candied stuff was easier to chop if you put it in the fridge for a bit and then pulsed it in the food processor. Might not be worth whipping out the Cuisinart and then cleaning it, but it sounds like it could work.

    I, too, have been having problems with sub-par peaches. It's the end of the peach season here, and the last of the crop aren't so good. We actually get some really excellent peaches in the midwest. Michigan produces the best, but even Wisconsin and Illinois have some great ones to offer (I didn't even know this until this year because I'm so used to Michigan peaches). But, our season is shorter than places like Georgia and California. Two weeks ago, the peaches here were heavenly. Now they're fibrous and bland. I tried to make peach sorbet, and it was just not okay, even with extra sugar and lemon juice. The good news is that we've just gotten into pear season! Mmmmmm pears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I tried using my little mini prep for the ginger (since I didn't think it would be worth cleaning the whole Cuisinart). Not successful.

    The peach situation here is you walk into Ralphs and it's like "HOLY SHIT WE HAVE PEACHES! PEACHES ARE EVERYWHERE!" When that happens with strawberries, the strawberries are fantastic. I guess peaches are a different animal...or fruit, if you will.

    ReplyDelete